The debate between Allstate Vs Farmers has been going on for a while now. With this review, I will attempt to put it to rest and help you find the best auto insurance provider.
In a ValuePenguin study 30-year old male drivers with/without any accidents paid slightly less on their premium with Farmers than with Allstate. However, 20-year old females without any accidents paid slightly less with Allstate than with Farmers on their premium.
Always remember that auto insurance never has set monthly insurance prices for everyone. My rate is not going to be your rate vice versa. There are many factors that go into determining your insurance rate such as your previous coverage, age, geography, vehicle type, gender, driving history, eligible discounts, etc. It is extremely important that you get an auto quote for yourself to compare prices.
In J.D. Power’s claims study both Farmers and Allstate received 3 out of Power Circles in overall customer satisfaction. Farmers and Allstate tied in every category except the estimation process and the repair process. In the estimation process Allstate scored one Power Circle higher. In the repair process Allstate received 2 more Power Circles than Farmers.
Using Better Business Bureau(BBB) we will find out if these insurance companies handle customer complaints well. Allstate received an “A-” BBB grade while Farmers received an “A+” BBB grade.
Financial Strength Rating
Does your insurance company have the financial strength needed to pay your auto claims?
- A.M. Best gives Farmers insurance an “A” financial strength rating.
- Moody’s Investors Service gave Farmers an “A2” which proves that they are more than capable of paying your insurance claim.
- S&P gave Farmers an A+ financial strength rating.
- A.M. Best gave Allstate an “A+” financial strength rating. (Second highest of 16 categories)
- Standard & Poor’s gave Allstate an “AA-” financial strength rating.
- Moody’s Investors Service gave Allstate an “Aa3” financial strength rating.
Farmers features and discounts
- Did you know that some insurance companies will increase your rates if you get a speeding ticket or run a stop sign? With incident forgiveness, Farmers will not increase your rates after a citation.
- Farmers will not increase your rates after your first accident. Every three years that you drive without an accident Farmers will forgive one at-fault accident.
Small Claim Forgiveness
- It’s ridiculous for your rates to go up for something as small as a small fender bender. With small claim forgiveness, you will not have to worry about paying more on your premium for a small accident even if it’s your fault.
- Are you a homeowner? If so, you can save on your auto insurance policy today with Farmer’s homeowners discount.
- Experienced drivers can receive a discount on their Farmer’s auto insurance policy.
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Discount
- You will qualify for this discount if your car uses alternative fuel. The vehicles that qualify for this discount include hybrid, electric, natural gas, methane and propane.
Paid in Full Discount
- When you pay your entire policy at once you will receive a discount with Farmers.
Allstate features and discounts
- Allstate also offers accident forgiveness. From day one you will be protected. Even if the accident is your fault you will not be penalized with Allstate.
New car discount
- Drivers that recently purchased a new car can save up to 15% with Allstate’s new car discount.
- This is an optional add-on. Just by signing up, you’ll get $100 off your deductible. Every year that you’re accident free you will get $100—up to $500.
Safe Driving Bonus
- Every 6-months that you are accident free Allstate will send you a check in the mail to reward you for your safe driving.
- With Drivewise, safe driving habits will result in saving more on your auto policy. Just by signing up for Drivewise you will receive 10,000 Allstate Rewards points. You will also receive 10% cash back if you’re a customer. Points can then be redeemed on AllstateRewards.com. With Allstate Rewards, you can save on daily deals, gift cards, sweepstakes, and more!
New car replacement
- We never know when the unexpected is going to happen, which is why it is good to be prepared. If your new vehicle is ever totaled in an auto accident Allstate will replace the car completely. It doesn’t matter if your vehicle is a couple years old. Allstate will not give you a check for the depreciated value like some auto insurers will do. Allstate will make new what was taken away.
Auto and home
- With this Allstate discount, you will get up to 10% off auto and 25% off home premiums.
Rideshare comparison – Added coverage for rideshare drivers with companies like Lyft and Uber.
The cost of rideshare with Farmers varies. Farmer’s rideshare is available in the following states:
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
Allstate offers Ride For Hire for drivers who use their car for a transportation network company. Allstate’s ridesharing program can help drivers stay protected for as little as $15-20 per year. Ride For Hire is available in 40+ states.
Bundling insurance policies to save more.
- Farmers has 10 insurance products that you are able to choose from.
- Allstate has 15 insurance products that you can choose.
Farmers offers roadside assistance services of up to $150.
- Emergency towing – covers up to $150
- Dead battery
- Flat tire change
- Lockout entry assistance
- Roadside winching – Perfect if your vehicle is ever stuck in the mud, snow, or ice.
There are three ways to get roadside assistance coverage with Allstate.
- You can join the Allstate Motor Club which costs $52 – $99 for your first year.
- You can use their Good Hands Rescue service. Only pay for what you use.
- Allstate customers can add towing and labor coverage for slightly more on their policy.
- Right from your Allstate app you can receive help for towing, lockouts, tire changes, jump-starts, and fuel delivery. Through your app you will receive real-time updates as soon as help is dispatched.
The Allstate app is rich in features and gives customers various helpful tools.
- QuickFoto Claim feature
- Preference Management
- Gas Finder
- Instant Agent Access
- Digital ID Cards
- Digital Locker
The Farmers app does not offer a lot of features like many other insurance apps.
- Instant access to ID cards.
- Call, email, or get directions to your agent’s office.
- Access your policy details.
- Report a Claim.
Which is better?
Both auto insurance companies have things that customers can be excited about. However, I love the extra discounts that you will be able to receive with Allstate and also Allstate offers a better J.D. Power rating. I recommend that you get a quote online to see which company gives you better pricing.